zondag 15 oktober 2017

William Byrd -- 15 oktober 1709

William Byrd II (1674-1744) was een Amerikaanse schrijver, politicus en plantagebezitter. Fragmenten uit zijn dagboeken staan hier online.

October 6, 1709. I rose at 6 o’clock and said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. Then I proceeded to Williamsburg, where I found all well. I went to the capitol where I sent for the wench to clean my room and when I came I kissed her and felt her, for which God forgive me. Then I went to see the President, whom I found indisposed in his ears. I dined with him on beef on beef [sic]. Then we went to his house and played at piquet where Mr. Clayton came to us. We had much to do to get a bottle of French wine. About 10 o’clock I went to my lodgings. I had good health but wicked thoughts, God forgive me.

October 15, 1709. I rose at 3 o’clock and recommended my family to the divine protection. Then I was set over the creek and proceeded towards Williamsburg by moonshine. I got as far as C-ler before the rising of the sun and to Williamsburg by 10 o’clock. I waited on the President and found five of the Council there. A letter came from Colonel Parke that informed us that he had like to have been assassinated by a negro hired for that purpose who shot at him and broke his arm. I was sworn a judge of the General Court and took my place on the bench. I dined at Mr. Bland’s with Mrs. Stith and Captain Llewellyn and ate beef for dinner. In the evening the President, Mr. Bland and I played a pool at piquet. I said my prayers and had good health, good thoughts, and good humor, thanks be to God Almighty.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten