zondag 1 februari 2015

Vita Sackville-West -- 2 februari 1924

Vita Sackville-West (1892-1962) was een Engelse schrijfster. Delen uit haar dagboeken zijn opgenomen in Selected writings.

February 2. Long Barn. Nice here, but draughty. Dined alone & the puppies ate my little cold joint while I was answering the telephone.

February 3- 34 Hill St. A real spring day at the cottage; we sat out on the step in the sun, read Yeats, and were quite warm, surrounded by Canute, Wolf, Swend, & Enid [her dogs]. Tulips, hyacinths, & spiraea coming up, aubrictia just beginning, lilacs in full bud.

February 7- Dined with Clive Bell. Ethel Sands there and Desmond McCarthy. Went to Hammersmith to hear "The Way of the World"; a queer wedge of people in the dress circle: Berners next to me, Goosens, Geog of Russia, Lytton Strachey, the Jowetts, and a lot of others. Then to Mrs. Hutchinson's at Chiswick, where poor Desmond fell downstairs and broke his kneecap. This cast a certain gloom over the party. Came home, giving DufF Cooper a lift ... to my astonishment he made love to me — I don't suppose I see him more than once in two years. Altogether a queer evening.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten