maandag 1 september 2014

William T. Sherman -- 2 september 1864

William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891) was een Amerikaanse zakenman, schrijver en generaal gedurende de Amerikaanse Burgeroorlog. Hij is het bekendst om zijn inname van de stad Atlanta in die oorlog. Fragmenten uit zijn dagboeken staan hier.

My army was able to successfully capture the city of Atlanta, Georgia today. It was a long and difficult campaign to capture the city, where many of my good soldiers perished. I’m not sure what my next course of action will be quite yet. However, staying in Atlanta will not be an option since we have yet to set up a supply line with the Union forces. Our resources will not be able to sustain such a large army of soldiers. As of now I have approximately 62,000 infantry, 5000 cavalry, 2500 wagons,16,000 horses, 600 ambulance, and 65 artillery pieces under my command (Marszalek 37).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten