maandag 5 september 2022

Robert Bulkeley • 6 september 1857

Robert Bulkeley (1839-?) was een Amerikaanse kantoorklerk die in 1857 bij wijze van vakantie een tiendaagse treinreis maakte, waar hij een dagboek van bijhield.

Sunday September 6
Three hours refreshing slumber and I awoke, the Sun was just rising, and gilding with the carpet every object with it. (I don’t know what to say.) I awoke F and soon we were dressed, and down by the American Falls. Im/nimus [?] we took a general view of the arena of the Falls, my feelings then, I cannot write, but will ever remember. We went down the inclined plane steps some two hundred I should say, and clambered out, upon the rocks to the foot of the Amer. Fall., saw an artist sketching, very aggravating, the thought, I could not-- Up again, and back to "mine inn" for breakfast. Waitress of the feminine gender, fine looking, good coffee, and cigars (after breakfast). Down the Principal Street, hired a horse + buggy. F. drove, check rein unloose, out, I hold the reins, horse starts, won’t hoa! Fred can’t get in, etc., Man comes in the road, and F is in— The morning was clear and a delightful bracing air. Crossed the Suspension Bridge, passed well onto a dozen toll gates, tolls enormous. The Drive on the Canada side was superb, if the horse hadn’t threatened [?] to break the wagon, and my jaw bone every 5 m. Stopped to warm our hands – F goes in, I hold the horse, infuriated animal threatens to carry me, over the British Fall (a few Yards off.) Nolen volens, to my relief F comes out, and I go in, and indulge in a glass of PaleAle. Back to the U.S. same way, passed numerous pretty Canada damsels on their way to church, after dismissing our horse, go on a commonplace jaunt, i.e., the Barber. After a comfortable shave, and hair adorned, light our cigars, and cross the bridge to Goat Island – What a heavenly walk around that Isle, I never felt so holy on a Sunday before; made the whole circuit, stopped now and then to admire, and applaud.

Saw the rainbow, a complete circle, and we stood so near that I could almost thrust my hand in the exquisite prism – (memo.) How admirably Church succeeded in depicting it. Last year I did not see it, -- Our incense from delicious Conchas, rose in unison with that of Nature. Passed a number of people, a sprinkling of London Cockneys and Southerners. Lounged around the Island for about an hour, and then returned to the hotel for dinner. After despatching that meal, took a walk up the Main St. and back to Prospect Point, here we gave way to the dolce far niente state; lolled on benches, and saw the "glittering generalities" rushing madly over the brink.

Resumption of Hotel Life: And a comfortable doze, sweet, and refreshing, for a three hours sleep, after a hundred and eighty mile last night, did not rest us much. Woke up about 5 p.m. and then off on another ramble. We followed the Niagara River along by the
Wheeling
Babbling
Wrestling
Waltzing
Wiggling Rapids, and
took a great deal of happiness in the neighborhood of our ventricle. Walked up the banks of the River for abt a mile and nearly opposite…
the famous navy Island of 1814. note: -- Back, to our "hostelrie" to supper. Memo we were vulgar enough to eat--). And now comes the crowning glory of our day’s happiness.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten