maandag 12 april 2021

Evelyn Waugh • 13 april 1926

Evelyn Waugh (1903-1966) was een Britse schrijver. Zijn dagboeken zijn gepubliceerd als The diaries of Evelyn Waugh.

Midsomer Norton, Monday 12 April 1926
The term came to an end drearily. I went to Barford for the last weekend and came to London on Wednesday in the rain, ate oysters and saw Alastair off to Constantinople in my only respectable suit. Dined at home. On thursday I hunted lor luggage which Charles had lost for me, had tea at Sumner Place, drank cocktails at the Ritz with Bobbie, dined with Gwen Otter where the soup was excellent, and home. On Friday I could bear London no more and got on a bicycle and went to Hungerford for the night in a nice pub called the Bear. From there I came on to Midsomer Norton on Saturday morning through rather lovely country. Since than I have read out-of-date novels in shabby easy chairs and listened to my aunts' condemnations of everything they know nothing about. There is a Welsh woman staying in the house. There is also a ferocious maid.

Tuesday 13 April 1926
Rather an amusing afternoon at Wells. Roger Hollis and I lunched at the Swan and drank champagne and brandy mixed. After a time we were turned out. There was a market at Farrington Gurney. It was odd that we were not killed going there. After a time the man in that pub refused us drinks. I said I was Hobhouse of Castle Gary and that I would have him out of the pub in a month. He believed me and gave us heaps more to drink. We lay in a field for some time. Roger lit a pipe. I think the aunts thought I had been drinking.
Next day we went to a place called Clevedon on the sea.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten