woensdag 22 april 2020

Frances d'Arblay • 23 april 1784

Frances d'Arblay (1752-1840) was een Britse schrijfster. Haar dagboeken zijn gepubliceerd als The Diary and Letters of Madame D'Arblay.

Friday, April 23, 1784.- The sweet and most bewitching Mrs. Locke called upon me in the evening, with her son George. I let her in and did so rejoice I had not gone to Mrs. Vesey's. But I rejoiced for only a short time; she came but to take leave, for she was going to Norbury the very next morning. I was quite heavy all the evening. She does truly interest both head and heart. I love her already. And she was so kind, so caressing, so soft ; pressed me so much to fix a time for going to Norbury ; said such sweet things of Mrs. Phillips; and kissed me so affectionately in quitting me, that I was quite melted by her.
What a charm has London lost for me by her departure sweet crea ture that she is ; born and bred to dispense pleasure and delight to all who see or know her! She, Mrs. Thrale and Mrs. Delany, in their several ways all excellent, possess the joint powers of winning the affections, while they delight the intellects, to the highest summit I can even conceive of human attraction. The heart-fascination of Mrs. Thrale, indeed, few know - but those few must confess and must feel her sweetness, to them, is as captivating as her wit is brilliant to all.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten