zaterdag 10 oktober 2020

Evelyn Waugh • 11 oktober 1928

Evelyn Waugh (1903-1966) was een Britse schrijver. Zijn dagboeken zijn gepubliceerd als The diaries of Evelyn Waugh. Hij was twee jaar getrouwd met Evelyn Gardner. Hun vrienden noemden hen 'He-Evelyn' en 'She-Evelyn'.

Wednesday 10 October 1928 
Evelyn's ''flu' better. Myself with heavy cold. Spent after evening at Hampstead. There is a chance apparently of there being a review of me in tomorrow's Evening Standard by Bennett. I read Humdrum which is rather a Barry Jackson production of Coriolanus. Harold Acton for the masses. Still it is very amusing in places. It will irritate Babe Greene and Brian Howard I should think. 

 Thursday 11 October 1928 
A man named Minton wrote to me on Muriel Silk's introduction to suggest that I might write rhymes for advertisements. I went to see him and he took me to see Stanley Morison of the Monotype Company who wanted me to design printing types. Leaving his office I found that Bennett had given me a very nice little notice in the Evening Standard. Lunched with Chapman & Hall at the Florence. Went to exhibition of Chiricos - some vulgar and like posters but rather impressive faceless seated figures in classical surroundings with laps full of skyscrapers and musical instruments. Tea at Hampstead and home to find Evelyn a bit better. Peter Quennell rang up to congratulate me on Bennett's notice. 

Friday 12 October 1928
The Canonbury doctor, who is a cross between a butcher and vet in appearance, pronounced Evelyn's illness to be German measles - on the undeniable evidence of a crimson and white mottled face. Lady Burghclere called while I was out with grapes and chicken and more or less kindly comments on the flat. Attempted to draw types. Poor Chapman has a book on gorillas to review. Sales for the week of Decline and Fall 157, total 1,093. When we touch 2,000 I shall begin to feel more at ease about it. 

Saturday 13 October 1928
Evelyn goes on in bed. Her nurse is here most of the day to look after her. 

Sunday 14 Ocober 1928
Evelyn still in bed. Nurse still in flat. Lady B. sends plenty of food. 

Monday 15 October 1928
Evelyn still in bed. Nurse still in flat. Reading Orlando. £ 20 from Lady Margaret Duckworth. 

 Tuesday 16 October 1928
Evelyn still in bed. Nurse still in flat. [...]

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten