maandag 17 augustus 2020

Frances Grenfell • 18 augustus 1841

Frances Eliza Grenfell (1814–1891) had een verboden liefde, Charkles Kingsley, die ze liefdesbrieven schreef in haar dagboek. In 1844 trouwde ze toch met hem.

Crushed that she had not received a letter from her beloved, Charles Kingsley, in forty-five days, Fanny Grenfell made this illustrated entry on August 18, 1841.

After the first wild moments of disappointment were over this morning, I went down to the little Catholic Chapel wh[ich] was open early, & poured out my soul in prayer and tears – & the load was lightened – & then I went into the Forest; I never loved you so much as in this misery. It has opened volumes to me & in them I read my heart. Let Patience have her perfect work!

When I stopped writing this morng I looked out of my window & my eyes rested (that is rest!) on the Holy Cross & the little Chapel – & what one looks at in sorrow becomes at once consecrated; so I hastily sketched it in your book – dearest – I often go to that crucifix & pray underneath it for you and for myself – It is so soothing – He was as Men of Sorrows whose form is stretched upon it, & can sympathise, and I felt this morning as I stood beneath it, that He w[oul]d not lay upon me more than I c[oul]d bear – Oh! it is a blessed thing to be tried & chastened if it leads us one to the Cross – & I do feel that my present misery is a g[rea]t responsibility for its effects will be felt either as a blessing or a curse to my Soul – He is speaking in it – May my whole being listen.

Above those fir trees the Even[in]g Star rises, & I watch for it so anxiously after sunset which I see over those mountains behind the Cross.

Some nights it is too cloudy to see it, & I miss it so – but then there is always a light burning under the Cross wh[ich] I turn to instead. How I long for you to see all these things with me!

I am just come home from dining at Prince Esterhazy's. It was something to look forward to while I was there, saying these few words to you on my return. It is pleasanter to be among comparative strangers when one has a grief wh[ich] is completely solitary, than with those who love one to know all that is in one's heart; for then one's silence does not reproach one as something ungenerous. The day is wearing away, & tomorrow must come soon & with it an English Post.
Hope is a lover's staff – walk hence with that
And manage it against despairing thoughts
This is a hard task now. How curious the power of dreams to torture one. I said to F.B. before we parted for the night, "12 hours more before the Post & for 7 of those hours our misery will be forgotten in blessed sleep!" But it was not so. I dreamt a long letter came from you, & I opened it, Oh! how well I can see it now, & as I was eagerly beginning the first page, I woke with a feeling of agony, for to have read it in a dream w[oul]d have been a blessing. I slept again; & again a long long letter was brought to me in your hand – I opened it, I found it was my own writing inside – the Journal I had kept for you. Again disappointment woke me – & again I slept and dreamt the same dream, & read hastily the first few lines of your dear letter when I saw that you were going to refer, and to refer coldly I tho't to what I said in my last, & I trembled so violently that I shut up your letter, wishing to put off the evil moment, wh[ich] I felt I c[oul]d not face just then – & again in a tumult of feeling I woke. I was quite wild & felt as if my brain w[oul]d turn. I got up, & found the Post was come & no letters. Do you think it weak of me to record all this? Oh! that I had so faithful a transcript of your thoughts – as you will have of mine!

Aug. 19
Received the precious letter – all well thank God – & all most satisfactory – tho' the letter was shorter & less soft & warm, & you were right your candid confession of the absorbing influence of the studies did disappoint me at first. I c[oul]d not bear to think that any thing even tho' done for my sake c[oul]d make you think less of me – but after consideration I tho't it showed your strength of character, & I felt proud of it – still more proud of the perfect confidence this candid confession showed you had in me, for forgetfulness that you c[oul]d be ashamed of, you w[oul]d never dare to tell me of, unless it was by returning your myrtle. So all is well – & for all I ought to be deeply thankful – but I am a woman – & as such I feel what you as a man can never enter into.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten