zondag 26 juni 2022

Arthur Crew Inman • 26 juni 1929

Arthur Crew Inman (1895-1963) was een Amerikaanse dichter wiens dagboek een van de omvangrijkste is die er bekend zijn.

June 26 My stocks progress nicely, especially the electrics. Am loaded to the brim. Twenty-five thousand ahead at present. Lord, but I want money. My ambition is to possess a chain of houses and a flock of servants. Evelyn wants a yacht and a private car. Quite a descent on my part from a resolve to be the greatest contemporary author. Funny, I wanted fame and success and influence. I came into the possession of the finest wife and a bounteous love. Did I lose or profit? Whether I lost or no remains problematical. Whether I profited is an indisputable affirmative. Evelyn is the hub of the wheel of my existence. And, after all, of what importance fame, power, success? The wise men of all ages acclaim love as more wondrous than these. Being a trifle acid at heart, I suppose something will sooner or later steal Evelyn and her love from me. Nothing I treasure remains unfilched, untarnished, stable.
The Barnes girl, who was here again last night, was once engaged to a man who accidentally shot himself before the wedding. She is now in love with a married man whose wife refuses to grant him a divorce. Other people have their troubles.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten