donderdag 27 mei 2021

Evelyn Waugh • 28 mei 1945

Evelyn Waugh (1903-1966) was een Britse schrijver. Zijn dagboeken zijn gepubliceerd als The diaries of Evelyn Waugh.

London, Monday 28 May 1945
The day of publication of Brideshead. A charming letter from Desmond MacCarthy this morning promising to review it in the Sunday Times.
I got deeply depressed at Chagford and after a week's work came to London by way of Pixton. A pleasant week in London during which I was offered and accepted a diplomatic post in Athens and a castle in Wicklow. I wrote a letter to The Times denouncing Tito's claims on Trieste which has evoked an answer I think from Fitzroy Maclean. I have switched the argument solely to the persecution of the Church and look forward to tomorrow's issue with eagerness. I bought a repeater watch and broke it at once: £ 120. I had some new photographs taken by Howard Coster. All my friends and enemies are standing for Parliament. I do not envy them at all. Wednesday-Friday last week at Mells. Trim home, wine flowing, Katharine happy, Trim still European. Christopher Hollis radiating happiness at his certain seat for Devizes. A house for sale near Mells - Southfields Whatley, home of the lately homicidal Elderton [een zonderling van enige reputatie]. A very charming house in a friendly district - Jolliffes, Hollises, Asquiths, Weymouths. I am quite ready to chuck Peter Fitzwilliam's castle [Waugh overwoog een huis in Ierland te kopen van Fitzwilliam] and move there.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten