Tuesday, August 27 • I didn't feel very refreshed after the holiday and had mixed feelings about going back to work. Peter M and I went out to see TB [Tony Blair] at half tour at Richmond Crescent. He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt with a big letter Q on it. He was tanned and seemed very chirpy, and moderately sympathetic when I told him we had had something of a holiday from hell, Fiona ill, the house not great. We went through all the various problem areas and he concluded that he needed to get out there more. He realised that he was being seen as all things to all men, a bit managerial even, and it had to be much clearer that he was a conviction politician. The problem was that New Labour was defined by our opponents as an electoral or political device. We had to show that he was New Labour out of conviction. I said the most important challenge of the coming months was for TB to connect with people, and for the party to see that happening, based upon his convictions as a left-of-centre political leader. Peter and I left at seven, having enjoyed a running private joke between us to see how long we would be there before we were offered a cup of tea. We got one just before we left.
Wednesday, August 28 • Neil and Glenys came round and we went to the Camden Brasserie. To our and their amazement, Robin and Gaynor [Regan, his secretary] were two tables away. Robin went a weird pink colour, while Gaynor looked sick. RC [Robin Cook, Foreign Affairs] came over. There was something I needed to fax to him, and could I fax to his office. It was probably a big charade to pretend he was not going to her place.
Wednesday, August 28 • Neil and Glenys came round and we went to the Camden Brasserie. To our and their amazement, Robin and Gaynor [Regan, his secretary] were two tables away. Robin went a weird pink colour, while Gaynor looked sick. RC [Robin Cook, Foreign Affairs] came over. There was something I needed to fax to him, and could I fax to his office. It was probably a big charade to pretend he was not going to her place.
Ongecorrigeerde vertaling door ChatGPT.
Dinsdag 27 augustus • Ik voelde me na de vakantie niet bepaald uitgerust en had gemengde gevoelens over het weer aan het werk gaan. Peter M. en ik gingen naar Richmond Crescent om TB [Tony Blair] te zien, halverwege zijn vakantie. Hij droeg een korte broek en een T-shirt met een grote Q erop. Hij was gebruind en leek erg opgewekt, en toonde redelijk veel begrip toen ik hem vertelde dat we min of meer een vakantie uit de hel achter de rug hadden gehad: Fiona ziek, het huis niet geweldig.


Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten