donderdag 25 februari 2021

William Byrd • 26 februari 1710

William Byrd II (1674-1744) was een Amerikaanse schrijver, politicus en plantagebezitter. Fragmenten uit zijn dagboeken staan hier online.

February 26, 1710.
I rose at 8 o’clock and read nothing because of my company. I neglected to say my prayers, for which God forgive me. I ate milk for breakfast. Then we took a walk about the plantation till it was time to go to dinner. I ate fish for dinner. In the afternoon we saw a good battle between a stallion and Robin about the mare, but at last the stallion had the advantage and covered the mare three times. The Captain’s bitch killed another lamb for which she was beat very much. We took another walk about the plantation. My maid Anaka was very well again, thank God, and so was Moll at the quarters. My wife was out of humor with us for going to see so filthy a sight as the horse to cover the mare. In the evening we drank a bottle of wine and were very merry till 9 o’clock. I neglected to say my prayers but had good health, good thoughts, and good humor, thanks be to God Almighty.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten