dinsdag 27 december 2022

Arthur Crew Inman • 28 december 1934

Arthur Crew Inman (1895-1963) was een Amerikaanse dichter wiens dagboek een van de omvangrijkste is die er bekend zijn.

December 28 The Baby-Carriage I have come to regard as being fully as important to my existence as my abode, my bed, my chair, Dr. Pike, Dr. Macintosh, Bottomley, money, people to wait on me. I feel like a house built over the tide and supported by a number of key legs, anyone of which at any time may break and topple into the swirling sea that is waiting.

December 30 Dr. Pike stopped by for Evelyn about six yesterday. He took her to Brookline to his house for dinner. His family (Hardy and his wife have been visiting him) have gone to the White Mountains for the skiing over New Year. Dr. Pike and Evelyn had cocktails in front of the fire, then dinner. There was roast duck stuffed with mushrooms, mashed potatoes, lima beans, applesauce, hot rolls, fruit cup for dessert. Evelyn was in evening clothes, Dr. Pike waited to dress until after eating. Then he and Evelyn drove downtown to the theatre. They saw 'Petrified Forest' with Leslie Howard, the popular English actor. "It was good. The dialogue was really clever. It is the story of a defeatist, a man who doesn't wish to live. He has been supported by his wife, who saw in him an artist in the making. The play is about what happens to this man at a little filling-station near the Petrified Forest. It gives his philosophy of life, which is much like your own. He asks a gangster, who has killed several people and is fleeing from justice, to kill him. The gangster says he guesses one killing more or less won't matter. So he shoots him." "What," I asked, "did Dr. Pike say about that?" "He said: 'Shame to kill a nice boy like that.' And I said: 'Well, it was what he wanted.' I'm not at all sure he liked the play. It didn't fit in with any of his principles."

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten