woensdag 3 juli 2013

Harry S. Truman -- 4 juli 1947

July 4:
Had most cordial reception at Jefferson's home-some 4000 or 5000 people there to hear me speak. Speech seemed to go over.

Held a reception before speaking time and then signed some programs for those who had helped with the arrangements.

The Governor of V[irgini]a made a very, very nice welcoming speech as did Mr. Houston, Pres[ident] of the Jefferson foundation, just before I spoke.

Road to the U[niversity] of V[irgini]a in the car with Mayor Adams of Charlottesville, Gov[ernor] Tuck of V[irgini]a and Hon[orable] Colgate Darden, Pres[ident] of the U[niversity] of V[irgini]a and a former Governor of V[irgini]a.

Mrs. Astor-Lady Astor came to the car just before we started from Monticello to say to me that she liked my policies as President but that she thought I had become rather too much "Yankee."

I couldn't help telling her that my purported "Yankee" tendencies were not half so bad as her ultra conservative British leanings. She almost had a stroke.


Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) was de 33ste president van de Verenigde Staten (1945-1953). In 1947 hield hij een dagboek bij.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten